Dr Guy Kahane
Dr Kahane is Deputy Director of the Uehiro Centre, and Deputy Director of the Oxford Centre for Neuroethics. He is also a Research Fellow at Pembroke College. Kahane is a recipient of a Wellcome Trust University Award, and will be University Lecturer in Practical Ethics at Oxford from 2014. He has a B.A. in philosophy and psychology from Tel Aviv University, and B.Phil. and D.Phil. degrees from Oxford University. Kahane’s research interests include practical ethics, neuroethics, meta-ethics and value theory. Kahane is particularly interested in evolutionary, psychological and neuroscientific accounts of morality, and their possible ethical implication. He is also actively engaged in using neuroimaging and other empirical methods to study moral cognition.
- Kahane, G., (2012), 'The value question in metaphysics', Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Vol: 85(1): 27-55
- Terbeck, S., Kahane, G., McTavish, S., Savulescu, J., Cowen, P. and Hewstone, M., (2012), '‘Reply to Burchett, T. S. and Glenn, L. L., “Measurement Validity of Tests for Implicit Negative Bias”’', Psychopharmacology, Vol: 222(4): 723-724
- Terbeck, S., G. Kahane, et al. (2012), 'Propranolol reduces implicit negative racial bias ', Psychopharmacology, Vol: 222 (3), pp.419-424
- Kahane, G. (2012), 'The Armchair and the Trolley: An Argument for Experimental Ethics', Philosophical Studies, Vol: online first.
- Kahane, G. (2011), 'Mastery Without Mystery: Why there is no Promethean Sin in Enhancement', Journal of Applied Philosophy, Vol: 28(4): 355–368.
- Kahane, G. and J. Savulescu. (2011), 'Disability: A Welfarist Approach', Clinical Ethics, Vol: 6(1): 45-51.
- Kahane, G. and Chan, T. (2011), 'The trouble with being sincere', The Canadian Journal of Philosophy Vol: 41(2): pp. 215-234.
- Kahane, G. (2011), 'Evolutionary Debunking Arguments', Noûs, Vol 45(1) pp. 103–125,
- Kahane, G., Wiech, K., Shackel, N., Farias, M., Savulescu, J. and Tracey, I. (2011), 'The Neural Basis of Intuitive and Counterintuitive Moral Judgement', Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, Vol: online advanced access
- Kahane, G. (2010), 'Should We Want God to Exist?' Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Vol: 82(3): pp. 674-696
- Kahane, G. and Shackel, N. (2010), 'Methodological Issues in the Neuroscience of Moral Judgment', Mind and Language, Vol: 25(5) pp. 561-582
- Kahane, G. and Savulescu, J. (2010), 'The value of sex in procreative reasons', American Journal of Bioethics, Vol: 10(7) pp. 22-24
- Kahane, G. (2010), 'Feeling pain for the very first time: the normative knowledge argument', Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Vol: 80(1) pp. 20-49
- Kahane, G. (2009), 'Non-Identity, Self-Defeat, and Attitudes to Future People', Philosophical Studies, Vol: 145(2) pp. 193-217
- Savulescu, J. and Kahane, G., (2009), 'The Moral Obligation to Create Children with the Best Chance of the Best Life', Bioethics, Vol: 23 (5), pp. 274-290
- Kahane, G., (2009), 'Pain, Dislike, and Experience', Utilitas, Vol: 21 (3),
- Kahane, G., Skene, L., Wilkinson, D. and Savulescu, J., (2009), 'Neuroimaging and the Withdrawal of Life-Sustaining Treatment from Patients in the Vegetative State', Medical Law Review, Vol: 17 (2),
- Kahane, G. and Savulescu, J. (2009), 'Brain-damaged patients and the moral significance of consciousness', The Journal of Medicine and Philosophy, Vol: 34(1) pp. 6-26
- Wilkinson, D., Kahane, G. and Savulescu, J., (2008), ''Neglected Personhood’ and Neglected Questions: Remarks on the Moral Significance of Consciousness', American Journal of Bioethics: Neuroscience, Vol: 8 (9), pp. 31 - 33.
- Kahane, G. and Shackel, N., (2008), 'Do Abnormal Responses Show Utilitarian Bias?' Nature, Vol: 452 (7185),
- Kahane, G., Wiech, K., Farias, M., Shackel, N., Tiede, W. and Tracey, I., (2008), 'An fMRI Study Measuring Analgesia Enhanced by Religion as a Belief System', Pain, Vol: 139 (2), pp. 467-476
- Kahane, G., (2008), 'Brain Imaging and the Inner Life', The Lancet, Vol: 371 pp. 1572-1573
- Savulescu, J., ter Meulen, R. and Kahane, G., (Eds.) (2011). Enhancing Human Capacities, Oxford: Wiley Blackwell
- Kahane, G., Kanterian, E., Kuusela, O. (2007) Wittgenstein and His Interpreters, (Oxford: Blackwell Publishers)
- Savulescu, J., Sandberg, A. and Kahane, G. (2011), 'Enhancement and Well-being', in J. Savulescu, R. ter Meulen and G. Kahane (Eds.) Enhancing Human Capacities,Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell pp. 3-18
- Savulescu, J., Sandberg, A. and Kahane, G. (2011), 'Reasons to Feel, Reasons to Take Pills', in J. Savulescu, R. ter Meulen and G. Kahane (Eds.) Enhancing Human Capacities,Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell pp. 166-178
- Kahane, G. and Savulescu, J., (2009), 'The Welfarist Account of Disability', In A. Cureton and K. Brownlee (Eds.), Disability and Disadvantage, (Oxford: Oxford University Press)
- Kahane, G., Kanterian, E. and Kuusela, O., (2007), 'Introduction', Wittgenstein and His Interpreters, pp. 1-36, (Oxford: Blackwells Publishers)
- Kahane, G., (2006), 'Pain, Ethical Significance Of', In D. Borchert (Ed.), The Encyclopaedia of Philosophy, 2nd edition, (New York: Macmillan)